Well we are now officially at deployment status. I think I might still be in a little bit of denial about that the whole situation, but that's okay it will hit me soon. I have to say the getting ready for him to leave was stressful. I mean going into the unknown and not knowing truly what to expect is weird for us both. I hope that he packed well and what he needs we can of course send out to him.So you ask, how did the big day go. We tried to lay low and just let the day be as normal as possible. We spent a lot of time as a family and just enjoying those last moments of doing normal things together. Elijah actually started back to school that day, so after school we went to the library, the pool, and just rested in the late afternoon. The guys didn't leave until the early morning hours and I really wanted the kids to be present for it, so we had them take a really late nap in hopes they would be able to stay up and say good-bye to Daddy.
After a long wait here at the house (meaning we left our house at 11:45pm) to go up to the hanger. Elijah asked, "Can we do this every night?". He liked being able stay up late and watch movies, but wasn't thrilled about sitting at the hanger once we got there. It's quite the process. The guys line all their bags up and then the waiting begins. First, they get their pistols. Then we wait again, then they get there M4's and then we waited some more. Then after just hanging out experiencing awkward moments together the dreaded walk to the bus takes place. This is the point in time where everyone kinda loses it. I think the guys got anxious because its really happening, the wives get weepy and start breaking down, and the kids are just like see ya lets go to bed.
I didn't totally break down, but it was hard watching Jaron hold the kids knowing this is the last time they will get hugged by their Daddy for 7 months. Ava will be turning 3 when he returns, Elijah will almost be 5 years old, and I will be holding an almost 5 month old son when he returns.
Elijah's reaction the whole event was interesting. We haven't talked much about Jaron leaving because he has no concept of time, so we didn't mention that he was leaving until a few days before he was suppose to leave. So every morning Elijah would ask if Jaron wasn't home, will Daddy be home today. At the hanger he grasped that Jaron was leaving for sure at that moment for a bit of time. We also, have never really talked about what Jaron is going to be doing. He knows that his Daddy flies a helicopter with other Marines in it and supplies. We have never talked about shooting, war, or bad guys. After Jaron was issued both of his weapons Elijah stated that, "Daddy is going point and shoot the bad guys". Then as Jaron left he asked, "If Daddy was going to shoot the bad guys". The next morning Elijah asked, "Is Daddy going to be okay?". Its a strange thing to hear a four year old ask these questions. I told him that I hoped that Daddy doesn't have to shoot any bad guys and that his Daddy was going to be okay. There is the part of me that thinks what if something happens and I made a lair and everything is not okay. As for today Elijah watched his first video of Jaron leaving (we just made them ourselves) and he was so excited to see Jaron on the computer that he kept waving at the computer screen and saying "Hi Daddy". After the movie was over he told me that he was going to give his Daddy lots of hugs and kisses when he got home.
Ava's experience is of course different, since she is so much younger. She had a great time hanging out at the hanger, but cried miserably when Jaron left. She wanted to go on the buses too! I think that she will be fine through the deployment as long as Elijah is okay.
As for travels the guys have traveled for a day and half and things are going great. I actually just a quick email from Jaron. Then a 12 minute phone call, which half that time I couldn't hear him. They haven't arrived to their exact final destination.
If anyone wants to contact me please email me at: hannahgivesthanks@yahoo.com
Okay so kids don't do the hurry up and wait so well. So the ipod with movies was broken out for a little entertainment.







2 comments:
I am thinking about you Crystal! Now that you have prayers all around you- some from as far as Japan! ;)
Oh gosh! My eyes are wet reading this! You did a great job telling about your experience! I am glad you guys have a blog! I am not sure if you remember me, I am Karen's best friend...I hope you don't mind me keeping up with you guys!
Post a Comment