Our future squadron organized a Jane Wayne Day where the spouses of the Marines can go and do all things Marine. We started the day at the simulators (helicopter), martial arts class, night vision goggles (NVGs), firing range (shooting M-16), MRAP ride (armored vechile), Humvee simulator, Simulated firing range, Obstacle course, and ending the day with the repel tower. The day was suppose to included a ride in a 53-D (helicopter), but the CO couldn't get clearance for it to take place.
I was able to meet some new women and that is always fun. I had a great time leaving my Mom life (which is filled with all kinds of adventures) and facing some new challenges I wouldn't get out a regular day in my life. Jaron was home with the kids and faced a day in my shoes.
Helicopter Simulator is something I opted not to take part in, but is a lot fun. It truly simulates flying and operating a helicopter. I get motion sickness pretty easily so I opted out. I did it last year when we lived in NC.
The Martial Arts class was a lot of fun and the Marine teaching was really good. They were very patient and gave clear instruction. I learned some self defense moves that I hope I never have to use.
The NVG's where awesome. I opted to wear a flight helmet with the NVG's so I could feel more like Jaron. It was interesting getting them into focus and then looking at a terrain board with different levels of moon light (simulated of course). It was interesting to see how mountains disappeared and cars on the ground appeared depending on the lighting. I was pretty good at spotting the tanks and cars that were pretty hard to see in low light. I think this was one of my favorites because it is amazing technology that enables our guys to fly at night and to do it somewhat safely.
The firing range was the favorite of most of the spouses. We were able to fire live rounds off an M-16. This is my second time firing a real M-16 and I am usually a bad shot. The Marines again where very awesome at explaining on how to use the sites to aim properly. Out of 30 rounds I think I only missed around five. That is pretty awesome for a girl who's only fired a gun a few times in her life.
The MRAP (armored vehicle) was a sober moment for me, because I think of all the Marines who die in these in road side bombs and in combat.
The Humvee simulator was a good experience and I can that it is an awesome training tool. It was room that was a full 360 degree screen with a stationary Humvee. Everything was electronic and almost like a huge video game. I am sure to the ground guys this is their equivalent to the flight simulator. They are able experience driving (the person driving is in full control, much like a video game) through a city in the middle east and faced with different situations. You are able to get in and out of the Humvee to fire at enemy combatants with a M-16 that is somehow linked into the computer program. I am not sure how to explain this experience, but it was pretty neat and sobering as well. For the much of the time I had to close my eyes, because motion sickness is an issue for me.
We went onto another simulator firing range. Here you are able to practice scenarios of going into building and deciding if the people inside are friendlies or enemies. It's quite an experience. The computer is able to tell you how many shots one took, how many hits, and how many fatalities. What another great training tool for the ground guys.
We ended the day at the O-Course and repel tower. The O-Course was so challenging. Pretty much every wife had to be assisted in order to make it through the course. I respect anyone who can fly through that thing. I surprised myself and did pretty good. At the end you are suppose to climb a rope and though you use your legs to climb, my arms where to weak to hold myself up to position my feet. I will someday climb a rope. I think its a new goal of mine.
Repel tower did just that, repelled probably 2/3 of the spouses away. I decided that this would be a great challenge for me to try and take part of. After finally getting harnessed correctly by the instructor, which I may add hurt like a motha foe I headed up the tower. Several wives went before me, but I was the first to get up and hesitate for any length of time. See they have you stand on the edge and lean back until you kind walk down the wall. Well I had seen some wives totally slip and hit the wall and not catch themselves properly. So I had a little concern in doing the same thing. So anyways, after the instructor allowed his helper to come down beside me I was ready. I just could not get pass the thought of being on the wall all by myself. Needless to say I did it!!!! I am proud of myself for that. I really liked this part of the day, because I was able to do something that a good portion of the population would never try. GO ME!!! :)
After a long day and some new bruises it was a lot of fun. I will for sure never forget getting to try these new adventures.

Firing range. I was aiming for the red target. When you hit them they would go down and then come back up. Tons of fun!

He saying to me at this point pull yourself up and wrap your leg like an S around the rope. Okay so I just finished the O-Course so my arms where limp. I tried. I will one day CLIMB a ROPE!







2 comments:
That is just awesome!!!!!!! Great job! I would love to do something like that.
Way to go! See you could be a Marine too!
Post a Comment