Thursday, September 2, 2010

Where to begin!?!

The month of August was even crazier then July if you can believe it. I really don't have an idea where to start, because a lot went on in this household. We did a trip to the Big Island, Ava is finally potty trained, Ava got a bike for finally being potty trained, Elijah is riding his bike without training wheels, Elijah started kindergarten, we celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary, I joined a hiking club, we welcomed a friend home from deployment, and the list could go on. So I guess I start with Jaron coming home and talk about our little family adventures. I will do a separate post on my new hiking adventures and the kids and all their silliness.


We actually got their in time to watch Jaron and his crew taxi in from a 3 and half weeks on the boat. Jaron started walking over to us with all his gear on and I wasn't sure it was him, so it wasn't until he was at the car that I knew I should take a picture. Ava was so ticked having her Daddy home!!!!!
The great thing about Jaron being home was knowing that we just had to make it through one crazy week and he was home free for 10 days. After a long work week and long days we started our plan for another week as a family. We decided on a Friday that a 3 day trip to the Big Island could be fun, so booked a flight, hotel and car and then left Sunday morning for the adventure. We literally arrived to the Big Island hopped in a car and drove to National Volcano Park. We seriously underestimated the size of the Big Island. We drove 3 hours to get here and it really took us 4 because be stopped once for lunch and another time for a photo op. After we arrived at the park and visiting the visitors center we soon realized that the Volcano park was truly an all day event. So we asked a ranger what were the best things to see in the park for kids and headed out. Needless to say we didn't realize how cold it could be there at the volcano park. So we dug through our bags and retrieved the kids swim covers and Rowans leggings. We first hit the Lava Tubes which was pretty amazing, because you walked through a misty rain forest with the biggest ferns I have ever seen. Then the tube was probably about .25 of a mile long. The kids LOVED the "cave". After the tubes, we hit the steam vents and it felt glorious standing in nice warm steam after being a bit chilly. After the steam vent we headed over to Kilauea Caldera Crater. It was just unbelievable and one of the largest natural formations I have ever seen. I posted a few links if you want to read more about this crater.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/hawaiithebigisland/0008022361.html

We were pretty disappointed that we didn't get to see the lava flow into the ocean, but it was going to be over an hour drive to get to that spot and the ranger said the lava flow could barely be seen that particular day. After a few hours in the park we headed back to our hotel which was a little over 3 hours away. "Sigh"

The drive to and from the volcano park was awesome!!!!! The Big Island I think has 11 of the 13 climates. They everything from rain forest, to desert, to snow capped mountains. It was so strange to be driving in the dessert, then a prairie setting, then lava fields, rain forest, and well we never made it to the mountains. I wish you all could have been there to experience it with us.

We arrived to the most lavish hotel I have ever been in and quickly checked in, bags taken for us to our room, car valet parked, and caught a tram to our room. It was CRAZY! We got to our room and immediately called for room service for food and relaxed. Yes, the had peanut butter and jelly for kids with no crust. LOL The kids were excited to be in a new place. After arriving at the resort we never left except to go to dinner for our anniversary with the kids in tow. Though it wasn't the most romantic dinner we have ever had it was a great dinner to celebrate our life together with our three little mini me's in tow.

We hope to at some point to return and make better plans for our visit to the Big Island. We missed seeing the black sand beach and much more. I unfortunately my camera settings were messed up so the color has been hard to correct in some of my pictures.


Our first stop at the most southern bakery in the US. The food was Delicious!

We had to stop and look at this old lava field. It was CRAZY because all we could see what black rock every where!!!!

The kids were so excited to be out of the car!!!!!



The rain forest leading up to the lava tubes. The biggest ferns I have EVER seen!!!


This was growing on the floor of the rain forest it was just beautiful. It reminded be of Christmas lights the way the rain glistened on it.


Before we entered the Lava Tube!!


So cool that lava use to run through here...


Look how huge this fern is!!!!!




Standing in the steam vents. It was so warm after being so cold.

At Kilauea Caldera Crater


Isn't that just amazing! I wish you could get a sense on how big this thing is...



I truly think Rowan has seen and been more places then the average American, to bad he won't remember it.

After the long day of travel Rowan was happy to be free and what does he get into first. The trash can, but he had to climb up on something first, then get into the trash can.

Here is my attempt at being artistic. The top is a cool fish they had hanging on the wall. I made it black and white because I think it shos the detail better.
Of course the bottom is Macaw, isn't awesome the colors God uses in these birds feathers.


Here is a few pictures of the resort itself. To get around you could either walk, ride a train, or a boat. It was pretty cool, but of course all man made. We even saw a barracuda in the water.

The kids at one of the many pools. It had a huge water fall and LONG slide. Elijah was tall enough to go down all by himself.

All around the hotel they had tones of statues. I figured the kids couldn't hurt this concrete camel. Elijah and Ava both pretended to be holding reigns as the bopped up and down.

There was a pool near our room that was small, but had 3 different slides. They had two small slides that Ava could go down and taller faster slide that Elijah and Jaron went down A LOT. I did too!



I am not sure what kind of birth this but he would stick is head in the hole alot. There was also, a little nest she would tend to.

A man made lagoon. It was stocked with fish and turtles. It was pretty cool, but we never went into it. People would snorkel and rent boats and stuff. We kinds laughed when we saw it because people are truly missing the true beauty of Hawaii.



Here is what a gate looks like at the Kona airport, just like most things in Hawaii open air.


Our good friend Kalie watched the kids so Jaron and I could go out for a nice dinner and celebrate our 7 years married!!! I think it was one our best dinners out together. We had a lot of fun talking and reminiscing.


What else does one do while on leave...mow the grass! Well our little patch of grass that is.
Jaron also worked on the van so it would pass inspection. After a week of tinkering and junk yard visits it passed the inspection.

We also, did the Pali hike. Its a paved little path with good parking. We had a great time just being out of the house. I think the best part (besides the view) is that is nice and breezy up there so you never get to hot.





Elijah being my little pack mule :)

Isn't it just beautiful?!

Here are some roots of a banyan tree. These trees are just amazing!

Panoramic View from the Pali Lookout

We had a great week just hanging out and being a family. It truly was an awesome semi-staycation. Next trip Colorado!!!

2 comments:

Lindy said...

Beautiful pictures! Glad that you got to go on a wonderful family adventure :)

The Nix Gang said...

Thanks Lindy!!!!