Thursday, October 16, 2008

Homeless Once Again & Driving West!

Yes, that's right. We are without an address for the second time this year. Our stuff has been packed up in crates three weeks ago now and shipped to Hawaii. So we have been hopping from place to place ever since. So as best as possible I will try to update up until this point in our trip. Okay so this blog is crazy long. I am writing this mainly for myself, but of course you are more then welcome to take a look.

Tuesday September 30, 2008 LAST MINUTES TOUCHES

So the day before the packers and wow there was a lot to do. I just had a hard time focusing on getting it all done. I managed to get most of our stuff packed up in the car for out next two months of living. I was trying to explain to Elijah that their were going to people coming to our house and packing our things into boxes, because we were moving to Hawaii to a new house. So the next thing he says, "Let's go to the store and buy a new house". Its funny to see how they view the world. Ava while sitting in the car the night outside Dick's Sporting Good pointed to the sign and said, "ball" because she noticed the picture of a ball. I thought that's pretty observant.

Needless to say Jaron and I just decided we had done as much as we wanted to and went to bed early. Whether that was a good decision or not, we found out the next day.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 THE PACKERS


The day started off with little humor and a good laugh. I had Elijah take a shower with Jaron since he hadn't one in several days. While I laid in bed wasting time I heard Elijah say, "Daddy, my pee pee small". Of course I started to snicker and thought wait wait here it comes, "Daddy, your pee pee BIG". Jaron then explianed to him that he was a little boy and his pee pee is small, but some day he will have a big pee pee. I wasn't sure if I should include in the blog, but I just couldn't pass it up.

The packers arrived to pack our things into boxes. It was a stressful day, because I didn't prepare as much as I should have for their arrival. Its hard to think about everything you should take or leave when you are going to be living out of suitcases for two months. My friend Lisa was sick and couldn't watch the kids, so I had to leave the house with the kids so they wouldn't be in the way.

So I just spend most of the day trying to keep the kiddos occupied and getting checked into the BOQ (hotel on base). We got a two room suite at the BOQ, which ended up being on the third floor. Ava was terrified of the elevator and being up so high and while Elijah thought it was tons of fun. Though he kept talking about falling and hurting the cars down below. The railing was pretty open and did feel like you could fall very easily. After getting to our room Elijah ran around the room saying, "My new house, my new house" I had to explain to him we were staying there for a few nights. He's not quite old enough to understand the moving thing yet.

After a day long of packers and major stress we ate dinner and just relaxed at the BOQ for the night.

Thursday October 2, 2008 THE MOVERS

The Movers came and packed all of our stuff into crates. They had a guy come and pick up our motorcycles in a separate truck and take them back to the warehouse for crating. I only got to ride mine once around the neighborhood before they came.
After a long day of movers we still has to clean the house. My friend Susannah came by and took the kids to the park, so Jaron and I could clean the house. We managed to get it done in about an hour which was awesome. This is the first base housing that we were able to just wipe down and leave. The houses we have lived in we pretty much had to pay for a cleaner to clean, because the list is just to tedious to take care of ourselves. So it was nice not to have to pay anything. Oh yeah and a HUGE THANKS to Susannah for watching the kids for us while we cleaned.
After a long day it was back to the BOQ for the night.

Friday October 3, 2008 GIRLS NIGHT

Believe it or not when Jaron woke up this morning he still didn't know if he was going to SERE or not. He didn't have orders or a plane ticket. After taking him into work we found he did have orders to go and a plane ticket for the next morning. He also, had a simulator to complete tonight before leaving.

The couple other wives and myself had planned to meet up for dinner and bowling tonight. I ended up taking the kids because of Jaron's simulator which he finished before we ever sat down for dinner. So I was lucky enough to be able to drop the kids off and go back to enjoy dinner without them. We had a great dinner ShowGun and then went bowling on base. Katie (who will be in Hawaii) bowls all the time and is pretty serious about it. Lesley is pilot with Jaron and hangs out with some of the wives from time to time. We had a great time bowling and I am so happy that I went.

I actually broke 100!!!!

SATURDAY October 4, 2008 DADDY LEAVES FOR SERE :(

So Jaron left today for SERE and that was pretty sad. The kids and I stayed at the BOQ for one more night just to kinda have some down time. I ended up getting dinner from Wendy's and headed down to the Marina near our old house. The kids and I just enjoyed being outside and free. We walked a long the water and watch a family prepare for a night of fishing. The daddy of that family was catching bait fish with a cast net, which both kids were really interested in, especially after they caught a few small fish. Ava surprisingly touched one of the fish. Elijah kept asking the little girl to borrow her fishing pole, which she was not going to share. I had to convince Elijah that it was time to go, which he was not happy about at all.
We stopped by a friends house (who will also be in Hawaii with us soon) and hung out there for a while. Of course after a day of just hanging out and chilling we went back to the BOQ for a while needed rest.

SUNDAY October 5, 2008 STAYING AT TONIA'S House

Today we stayed with Tonia who became my friend shortly after arriving to NC. She use to live on base around the corner and recently bought a house out in town. She was so kind to let us come and stay with her for two night before leaving town. Tonia has two little girls, Athena who is 3 and Eden who is 1. The kids played pretty well together, though I think Elijah was having a little bit of a rough time. I for sure thought Ava would have done a lot more crying. Ava really surprised me, because she warmed up to Rocky (he's a dog) quite quickly. She typically cries and shakes with great fear when dogs get close to her.

I was able to see my friend Lisa today too which really made my day. I was so afraid that I wasn't going to see her. She and her husband are in the process of moving up to Cherry Point, which is just an hour north of New River.
By the end of the day Elijah had tried my patience more then enough, but watching him and Athena play on the bed made it all worth while.
MONDAY October 6, 2008 ELIJAH LEAVE ATHENA ALONE! ATHENA LEAVE ELIJAH ALONE!
Today we just hung out around Tonia's house. Needless to say this turned into a day of conflict. The majority of the time the kids did great together, but we for sure had our moments, hence the title. One particular moment of the day was the fight over the soccer ball. This went on for like an hour. We wouldn't think that we had it under control and then they would be fighting over it again. Later that night Elijah was sleeping and woke up flaying his arms saying "soccer ball, soccer ball". I guess he was dreaming about fighting over the soccer ball.

Of course that night also Tonia and I had to have our moment of realizing this was the last time we would be seeing each other for a while. We had some deep conversations, a few tears, and hugs. It was great to meet such a nice family in our short time in NC.

TUESDAY October 7, 2008 THE FLINDER'S HOUSE

After leaving Tonia's house the kids and I headed an hour north to go see the Flinder's. The reason I refer to them as the Flinder's is there are 5 kids with a 6th on the way and well it seems like it fits. The Flinder's were our neighbors in Florida 18 months. Over the year and half we became great friends. Jaron and Thomas studied together and well Mary and I supported one another through friendship. We watch each others kids, talked almost daily, always borrowing eggs, and well were just great friends and neighbors. So before leaving I just had to see Mary and the kids one last time.

We had a great time hanging out. Ava loved having all the kids around and just though Ethen (who is Elijah's age) was great. We went to the park/beach and played for a while until the wind kinda made us turn in. We ate dinner together, made mint cookies, and just enjoyed each other's company. I always enjoyed being at the Flinder's because it's always a place I could go and just be myself. The kids always loved it too.

So thank you Mary for having us up there to stay with you guys. We had a wonderful time!

WEDNESDAY October 8, 2008 THE DRIVE SOUTH!!! ROAD KILL ANYONE!!!l

After a short, but wonderful with the Flinder household me and the kids headed south to Florida. The kids were wonderful. They just watched DVDs and played with the few toys that I packed. On the drive I began a count of how many dead deer that I saw on the side of the road from NC to FL. I would like you to take a wild guess…….15. That is right, I said 15. It was so sad to see so many beautiful creatures dead on the side of the road. All of them of hit by cars and smashed. I’m not sure why so many, but my guess would be hunting season. The only other excitement on the trip down to FL was the down pour of rain from time to time. That was kinda scary, but thankful we made it through unscathed.

It was good to make it Papa’s and Grandma Lisa’s house for a nice visit. The first thing Elijah wanted to play with is a giant bunny. He would just sit in the bunnies lap while watching TV and drinking his juice. It really was quite funny to see. Ava warmed up really quickly to being there, which was quite a surprise. She wasn’t even scared of Buster, the kitty cat. If Buster was missing Ava was asking “where’s cat” and looking under beds trying to find him.

THURSDAY October 9, 2008 THE MELVILLE'S HOUSE

The next morning after everyone got of to work and to school. The kids and I went over to see our old friends from Whiting Pines (our old neighborhood Milton). Of course Ava loved being around Zee (she’s 3 ½ years old) and doing girly things with her. Ava also, liked lying on the floor next to baby Derrek. She would say “baby” and then pat his head. It was truly priceless. Elijah just liked having some new toys to play with and visiting with Zee. Actually, Zee and Elijah ended up pruning a tree in the back yard, by picking leaves and putting in the bucket. Ethan (who is 1 ½ years old) had a great time visiting with me and Ava. He liked to play ball and show his cuteness off.

Of course I had a great time visiting with Jennifer. It’s hard moving so much and always feeling like I am starting over. So it is so refreshing to visit old friends that I have met while we have started our military life, because these are the people essentially become my family. So we thank you Jennfier for having us over and sharing all your awesome toys, food, and home. We hope to see you again when we make it back to FL.

Friday October 10, 2008 THE GIRLS

The kids and I just hung around Papa’s house today. We just needed sometime spending the day like we normally would at home. Later in the day we trekked across town and picked up my nieces for a sleep over. We had a great time just hanging out and being silly. Faith hung mostly with the Ashley and her friends. Hope was interested in knowing how late she could stay up. When we told her midnight she was pretty happy. She would come every 20 minutes to see how much longer and would then report back to the other girls. Faith ended up with a bit of a fever that night and still had one the next morning so we had to send her home, which was very sad. Because I had planned to spend much of the day with her since it would be one of my last chances.

Saturday October 11, 2008 THE MALL

After Faith and Hope left with Kevin the girls and I went out to the mall. Ashley, Jamie, and Kristen spent a couple of hours at the mall just walking around doing mostly window shopping. It was good to be out of the house without the kids and just enjoying that time with Ashley. We had a great time.
When we got back to the house an girl from down the street had been over playing with the kiddos. They loved her!!! Elijah later went on a tractor ride with Papa and Ava enjoyed watching from Ashley’s arms. We had dinner and just enjoyed hanging out and talking that night.

Sunday October 12, 2008 GREAT AUNT JIMMIE'S

Today we went to Aunt Jimmie’s in Blackshear, GA. She is now 76 and the last of my grandmother’s generation alive. We had a great southern dinner (at lunchtime) and just enjoyed sitting around talking. . My Mema (grandmother) died when I was only three and I have very few memories of her, so it was nice talking with Aunt Jimmie. We a moment of tears during our time visiting, because Aunt Jimmie though she has her son’s and grandchildren, she misses her brother, sisters, and parents dearly. She lost Uncle Roscoe (her husband) a few years back.
You have to understand that my family on my Dad’s mother side are strangely close compared to most American families. Everyone see’s each other once or twice a year. We know like all of our cousins. I mean how many people know their parents cousins (I think those are called second cousins) and even further back then that sometimes.
It was great visit the farm because I have many fond memories of there. We use to as kids play in the barn when it was full of bails of hay and then later learned how to drive a standard stick shift when I was 14 years old. The farm was once a real farm that about 15 years ago was converted in Pine Tree farm. It was amazing to see how big the pines had gotten since I was last there. When we learning how to drive stick shift I accidently ran into a baby pine tree and thought I was in big trouble. Somehow I made it out without being in too big of trouble. So I guess what I am trying to say is this will probably be my last visit to the farm maybe for life or even a few years. I miss it!

So with that I am so glad that I took the time to go and see her. She was so happy to finally my children for the first time and I was happy to be there. Oh yeah I forgot while visit somehow Tommy (my second cousin) befriended both Ava and Elijah. It was so much fun seeing him play with the kiddos.

Monday October 13, 2008 THE MORRIS HOUSEHOLD

In the morning I packed up the car and headed over to Jennifer and Justin’s. Jennifer is my cousin/friend and I so thankful that she and Justin are a part of my life. I met up with Jennifer and some of our nursing students for lunch at Callahan BBQ, which is my favorite.The kids were pretty good at lunch. Ava ate a whole corn dog off the tick, which really surprised me and well as usual Elijah ate French fries. After that we just headed back to her house and hung out. Immediately Elijah claimed the transformer as his toy of choice. The transformer is an old toy of Justin’s and is probably about 20 year old or so. Ava didn’t want to take a nap which we paid dearly for later.

Aunt Sandy, Uncle Jerry, and Doug all came over for dinner and it was great to see them. I really do miss my family. After dinner I got the kiddos into bed. Elijah told me, “Robot my favorite”, which came to no surprise since we insisted on sleeping with it. Ava feel asleep I think almost immediately, while Elijah talked and played for an hour.

Tuesday October 14, 2008 HIGH SCHOOL FRIENDS

I woke up this morning to Elijah saying “potty Mom”. I immediately threw out of the bed (gently of course), but it was to late. He had already peed in the bed. He doesn’t’ have accident’s often so I hadn’t put him in a pull up. We cleaned it up the best we could and let it dry out for the rest of the day. After getting up and eating breakfast we got ready to head for a morning Adventure.

Justin is a paramedic and started off at small fire station in Ferndina Beach. So he was able to take us to see a fire truck up close and personal. Elijah loved trying on the helmets and boots and of course the driver’s seat of the truck it self. Ava was a little more timid but warmed up after a while of watching brother play. After a great visit at the fire station we went to a local park around the corner. It was fun watching the kids run and play. Jennifer packed a picnic lunch which was great!!! Justin did a great job following Elijah around and playing with him. After the park we went back to the house for a mid day rest, since we had dinner plans in Orange Park at 5pm.

For dinner we met up with Jessica, Lisa, and Lesley at Chili’s. It was so great to see all those girls and catch up with what is going on in their lives. Lisa’s kids are now in elementary school , Jessica is teaching kindergarten, and Lesley is working as an accountant for a local company. Lisa had to leave early to attend a meeting. Of course dinner was complete until Ava threw up all over the table and herself. She gagged on a chip which caused her to throw up. So gross and embarrassing.

Jessica, Lesley and my crew went to the mall to go play in play area there. The kids had a great time running around like maniacs and got out a lot of energy. Elijah played really great with the kids and so did Ava. She actually was really really cute. She got into a little play car and patted the seat beside her to invite another little boy in to sit. It was really funny. While at the mall we had to make an urgent bathroom call and well as me and Elijah ran through the mall he keep say, " I pee in the trees mom, I pee in the trees". You know how malls have the shrubs all over and well he thought that was an adequate place to go pee, since he does that out in the woods. After talking an extra hour in the park lot with Jessica we headed back home. Elijah while walking into the house told me “watch out of owls, they bit your arm”. He’s such a nut!

Wednesday October 15, 2008 MOMMY TIME

Today was a day spend with Kevin’s Crew, Grandma and Papa Art. We met up at Kevin’s and then later went to the park so the kids could play. I had such a great time watching the cousins play together. Fatih declared that she was to old for the park anymore, but could have fun playing with Ava. After being at the park for a while Elijah somehow managed to fall and hit his face while walking past a slide. He ended up with a pretty nastly swallon eye and a scab. He was such a champ about it. He even let Grandma hold ice on it to help with the swelling. After sitting in the apartment for a while and letting the kids play, Faith and I went outside for a little while to kick the soccer ball around. Ava was pretty much scared of Kevin the whole time we were there. He would ask “can I hold you” and she would shake her head and say “hum hum”.

We really had a great visit and it was really sad to have to say good bye. Faith had a hard time knowing that I wouldn’t see them for quite some time. Mom and I said a quick good-bye before we started crying.

I fogrgot to mention Ava finally let Justin hold her after arriving back to the house. He stopped eating his steak dinner just so he could snuggle with Justin. It truly was too cute for words.

Thursday October 16, 2008 JACKSONVILLE ZOO

Today stated off to a slow start, but ended being a great day. Jennifer, the kids, me and Papa went to the Zoo. The kids had a great time looking at the animals and being outside. I think it was Papa’s first time back to the Zoo in some time and really seemed to enjoy it.

Friday October 17, 2008 MORE HIGH SCHOOL FRIEND'S

Today we met up with Khemara, Jackie, and MeiMei for lunch. I wasn’t sure I was going to make because Ava was showing her self to be extra spicy (as Jackie puts it). She pitched a couple major fits and even attempted to bite Elijah.
Considering we had three kids under the age of four lunch went well. Ava ate the most out of everyone I think. It was so great to see Khemara and Jackie after five years. It’s amazing to see an old friend and just pick up where you left off, there a bond there that can’t be broken. They are both married now and seem to be very happy. It was awesome seeing them and I am so happy that I took the time to set up a lunch date with them.

Saturday October 18, 2008 PARTY AFTER PARTY!

Today Ashely turned 18!!!! She had a small little party and I thought it turned out nice. Elijah was obessed with getting birthday cake and asked for it for an hour. It was so annoying and cute all at the same time. I told him he couldn’t have cake until it we sung Happy Birthday, so he procedded to sing Happy Birthday so he could get some cake.

After Ashely’s party me and Dad went to the store just to spend some time together. Then later headed over to Jennifer’s for her Fall Party and some fun. I was able to see my cousin Tassie in her clan which is always good fun. Alexis which is her oldest and I talked about old times. I was 10 years old when Alexis was born and spend a lot of time with her until I moved away in 2001. She will be attending college next fall which is hard to believe.

Ava had a great time following Justin around and being his side kick, while Elijah was tired and just wanted to watch some TV.

Sunday October 19, 2008 ONE LAST GOODBYE

Today I met up at Krystal’s by I-95 to say one last good-bye to Dad and his crew. It was so great to spend one last breakfast together because leaving. After that I just headed back north to NC and met up with Jaron. We check into the BOQ where Elijah exclaimed, “We’re Home, We’re Home!!!” Ava wasn’t feeling well so she just cried most of the night.

Monday October 20, 2008 PEACE OUT NC, HELLO VA!!

After Jaron’ finished checking out and getting our plane tickets for Hawaii we were free to go. PEACE OUT NC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We headed up to Shayna’s (Jaron’s oldest sister) in VA and visited with her family. JD and Alyssa were so happy to see us and were happy to see them too. JD even made his bed for Jaron and I, which I thought was very sweet.

Elijah on the way up was doing the hand puppet thing again which is funny to listen to and watch.

Tuesday October 21, 2008 COUSINS

Aaron and ELijah played so well today. It was so cute to watch them play chase and hide from one another. Its truly the first time that they have gotten along really well. We went to the park after eating lunch and they had a great time. I didn't have my camera with me and so sad, because there were some priceless moments.

As for Ava, Alyssa and JD are in love with her. They like taking her around and playing with her. They also, liked sitting in the chair and snuggling. Ava actually said, "want JD" and looked for him. Alyssa helped with Ava's bath and asked if she was her sister. So I tried to explain the cousin thing and well I am sure she didn't get it. I just told her that she was the only sister in her family and it was so special being the only girl. JD was heart broken when we told him that we were leaving in the morning. I think it made it hard for him to sleep.

Though our visit was very short I am glad that we were able to see the kiddos before heading off. Thank You Shayna and Joey for having us!!!!!

Wednesday October 22, 2008 ON THE ROAD AGAIN!!

Before saying our good-bye to Shayna we made a little video saying good-bye to JD and Alyssa. The drive through Pennsylvania was beautiful. The trees had fall written all over them. We managed to make it to Indianapolis, IN. We had booked a room at the Ramada through price line and well we didn't get what we paid for that is for sure. We arrived and were so sure we wanted to stay there. After getting into our room we were pretty horrified. It just felt dirty. I saw a bug of some kind scurry across the floor, which we killed. We killed two more before going to bed. Then we started an inspection for bed bugs. We started flipping mattresses, looking under the
bed, behind the headboard. We almost left and went somewhere else, but we had already paid for the room. I am happy to report that we made it through the night unharmed.

Thursday October 23, 2008 Crazy Speed Limits and Signs!

We got on the road at a decent hour. I think Indiana is the only state that I have ever driven in where people do the speed limit or less. So it seemed like it took forever, because the speed limits were 55 or 60 most of the time. They have signs on the side of the highway that read, "No stopping, standing, or parking". I just think that it is particular. After getting through Indiana we went into Illinois. The signs there read, "hit a worker, pay 10,000, 14 years jail". Missouri sign read, "hit a worker, pay 10,000, loss license". I guess these are the things you do when driving cross country, read signs that is. We ended up stopping in Salina, KS for the night.

The kids have been wonderful today. Ava and Elijah both have been great about playing and watching TV. Ava has been talking up a storm today. She say is using new words everyday. I think of them right now, but its amazing.

As for tomorrow we will make it to Colorado and we are happy for that. We will be seeing Jaron's family there and I am sure I will have lots to write about. Oh yeah we heard there is snow fall on the Loveland basin and they have opened it up. So we might even get to snowboard. YIPEEE!!

I won't be able to post pictures today, but I will very soon. I promise!!!

1 comment:

Lindy said...

What are your dates for CO? We're heading out this next week. We'll pass through rather quickly, but we might run into one another if we plan if right! Call me!