Friday, December 21, 2012

Sunflower field on North Shore Oahu, Hawaii


      About a year ago I wondered if there was a sunflower field or some kinda of field of flowers here on the island. Yes, we have beautiful mountains and beaches, but a girl just wanted a field of flowers. I am in a few photographers forums here on island and started hearing talk that the flowers were in bloom and then started seeing pictures. I was bummed because I couldn't seem to get away to go see  those darn fields. I finally decided one night that the next night that Jaron worked I was going to those darn sunflowers even it meant having all 4 kids in tow and sitting in traffic. 

   On a Tuesday afternoon after school the kids and I went home grabbed a quick snack and loaded up for the sunflowers on the North Shore. After a little traffic and about 50 minutes in the car we were finally there. The kids ran to the field and were so excited be amongst something they have never seen before a field of nothing but sunflowers (me too since it was a first). The only thing I regret is not getting any pictures of Noel, but to be honest she wasn't having it. She wanted to stay in the Ergo and watch the kids play. She made photographing interesting as I wore her on the front of me so she was tugging and chewing on my strap much of the time. The other thing I did not plan for is the RED DIRT. Rowan was covered head to toe, Elijah was near second and Ava wasn't so bad. Needless to say my tubs were covered in red dirt when we got home and all shoes had to be scrubbed that night. I am thankful that I took the time to take the kids and photographed our time together. I need to do this more often. 

A sprint to the sunflower field!


After a short walk we made it to the field, but it an old field, so we went on further to find the "happy sunflowers".
Rowan in his element of nature, dirt (red dirts the best) and freedom!!!!
Ava stole the show and the sunflowers could not compete with her!!

Note here that we did not pick any flowers, but someone there gave this flower to Ava. 
Just kicking the dirt.
It truly was magically watching the kids play amount the fields. 
Elijah really wouldn't let me take pictures of him like Ava and Rowan, but one pretty good one of him.



Now onto the boring sunflowers. ;-)
There were literally bees everywhere!!!!
It was as if that one flower was the star!




We had to leave before we lost sunlight, but boy was it beautiful!
A flower that had seen much sunnier and better days.
A field that had already been harvest. 

No comments: